Friday 25 May 2007

Slow...

One hour to go till my PBL exam, woot. I wonder what its going to be like....

The course I am going to in September is PBL based, which I loved the idea of, until I actually did PBL. Here, In vet, it absolutely sucks ass!!!! One of the main reasons I hated it was that the groups were so unresponsive. You couldn't have prised an idea out of them. I remember on the first day I was so excited, I was all like "yeah, now we finally get to get all House-ian"....and then......silence.....

Group facillitator: Any ideas what this might be?

Group: *SILENCE*

Me: "Um well, maybe we should research whether it could be x,y,z.......*trail off into embarassed silence*"

Group facilitator: "OK, good, so who wants to do what?"

Group: SILENCE

Facilitator: "What do you know about X?"

Facilitator: "Anyone know anything??"

Me: mumble mumble mumble *shame*

Group: SILENCE



Now please don't get me wrong, I'm not bitching complaining that nobody knew anything, I mean I didn't know anything either for any of the cases that weren't equine. It was the complete lack of ideas, or motivation that pissed me off. Would it have killed them to open their mouths and throw something out???

So, I'm really, really, really hoping that the med students are going to be more enthusiastic. Or that they learn to be. I'm guessing they will, 'cos the course is mostly PBL. And I'm hoping its going to be more structured than what we had here. Another problem I think is that you can't really do 99% traditional lecture format, and then just throw in some PBL for the hell of it. PBL requires a serious time and learning effort to work, and when you're trying to cram reams of facts at the same time, and have no interest in "self-directed learning" I don't think its good.

So now, 1/2 hour till my PBL. We get given a case and have 2hours to research it.

According to my schedule it says "pick up case material in the Monaghan Room"


Now where the hell is the Monaghan room??????

No comments: