Saturday 19 January 2008

FIFI


So, for my "student selected studies" this semester, I chose the sociology domain. And as my subject area "body and personhood". And as my presentation "How do new bodily norms create new disorders?"

Wow. I have learnt so much, and it has changed my perspective on so many things. I focussed mainly on eating disorders anorexia/bulimia and obesity.

One of the books I read doing my research was "Unbearable Weight" by Susan Bordo. Its absolutely fascinating. READ IT.


My other favourite is Susie Orbach's "Fat is a Feminist Issue". Ok, now anyone who hasn't heard of it, please don't groan roll your eyes and go "ugh, bloody man-hating, bra-burning feminists" This book is not about feminism per se. And anyway, why has feminism become such a dirty word? It doesn't MEAN hating men, it doesn't mean being extremist. But anyway, thats for another post.

If you are a woman, you probably have body issues. Specifically you probably want to lose weight. Ever been on a diet? Ever failed? I know I have.
Do you yo-yo with your weight?
"Do you eat when you are not physically hungry?
Do you feel out of control around food, submerged either by dieting or gorging?
Do you spend a good deal of time thinking and worrying about food and fatness?
Do you scour the latest diet for vital information?
Do you feel awful about yourself as someone who is out of control?
Do you feel awful about your body?"

(All taken from FIFI)
Link
Ok, so now you are rolling your eyes saying, "great, ANOTHER diet book telling us how if we eat such and such and do this and that we won't ever want a 'bad' food again and we will become stick like goddesses."

Nope. Thats not what FIFI is about. Its not about dieting, its not about getting thin. And it might show you things about yourself that you were never even aware of, things that have been seriously messing with your head.


So anyway, my message to all woman, is GO AND BUY THIS BOOK. It will change your mind. And then maybe, you can change your life......

And if you use the link to the book depository, you get free delivery!

please, do this.

And tell everyone you know.

Oh and Unbearable Weight is pretty fascinating too. Get it for good measure ;)

2 comments:

Merys said...

Have ordered, will read.

Lala said...

Woohoo! Spread the word!