Saturday 14 June 2008

The sky is black

It looks a lot like the above, and perfectly reflects my mood.

Written papers the day after tomorrow, and then two more days til final OSCE, and then, finally, finally, I'll be finished!

I've got to the point where I just want it to be over.

I don't know if I've done enough revision, or if I've covered enough of the important topics. So I don't know how confident I should be about this exam. And as I said before, I can't afford to fail.

I wouldn't normally be so worried but the exams are a completely different format to anything I've done before.

The first part is an EMQ (extended-matching questions), which can be very difficult, as its not just a question of selecting the right answer, but the most appropriate answer. And from looking at the mock papers, sometimes its all a bit ambiguous. It wouldn't bother me if it was all medicine, but its the psychosocial crap, and the health economics, and the law that catch me out. I really, really don't give a sh*t about law. Maybe I should, but I don't.

The second part is an ANP, or Advanced Notice Paper, the concept of which seems to me completely ridiculous. We've been given 6 "scenarios" (e.g. Joe Smith is an x who fell and broke his leg. His mum is worried because of blah, and he has now contracted an infection, plus his granny has diabetes blah blah blah), 3 of which will come up in the exam and have questions based on them. But, we are allowed to bring notes into the exam. Sounds great? It's not. a) deciding what topics need to be covered is endless, as the scenarios are super broad. b) compiling the notes is a pain in the ass (already have over 100 pages) c) time is very tight in the exam and its going to be really hard to convert notes into answers d) if something comes up thats not in your notes, you could be in trouble e) this is not a test of our ability of knowledge, but merely a test of our indexing skills. And I think e) is what pisses me off the most. Seriously, WHAT is the point of an exam where you bring notes in?!?!?!?!

And, I've never done one before, so I don't know how it will go.

Other things that piss me off: structure of the NHS - again, I don't care!!!, the doctor-patient relationship (writing essay answers about it that is), the MDT - don't even get me started on the MDT. Do I really need to know how an OT does a home assessment in detail; isn't that the OT's job? Benefits - again, not my job, call up the DWP and ask them!!!! The sick role - sick to death of the biopsyhosocial crap in general. The list is pretty much a summary of everything I'm supposed to know from the first semester. WASTE OF TIME.

Ok, needed to get that out. Apologies for the bitch fest, but seriously, when it comes to exams, this university is f**king insane!!!!!

1 comment:

The Little Medic said...

Have you finished yet? Very best of luck if not, and hope they wen't well if you have.