Thursday 14 June 2007

you MUST read this


I have just finished "Half of A Yellow Sun".

And I feel bereft, hollowed out and full of longing for the people I met and lost among its pages.

This is one of the best books I have ever read, it is as good as The Poisonwood Bible, my all time favourite.

Adichie's writing is fluent, absorbing, and this book will not leave you for a long time. I love how real her stories are, the intertwining paths of the book lead you on with them; in a page you are there, and it is your own suffering, joy, disgust and ecstasy that unfolds.

I am ashamed to say I knew nothing of the Biafran war, why it happened or how, but its horrors resonate with the thought that the same wars continue even now. And this book lets you see how it is to be an ordinary person trapped in a war you did not encite. It is not about the politics, it is about the people, about the ordinary, and in this it triumphs over your heart. It is an immensely powerful work.

And in finishing, I quote the authors final words

"May we always remember"


Above, author Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

No comments: