Monday 11 June 2007

Bad Day...


Today was a very bad day, thanks to my own stupidity and incompetency. I just could not do anything right today, and felt like The World's Most Incompetent Secretary in Training.

The major shameful incident was me screwing up and appointment. It was very busy today because we were short staffed and nearly fully booked, so it was all hands on deck. Its really difficult to answer the phone (which never stops ringing), check in & out patients and do paperwork at the same time. Unfortunately, I checked someone in, then answered the bleating phone, and forgot to pull his chart. So the doc didn't know he was there. I completely forgot then, and it was only when he came up to the desk complaining that he had been waiting 40 minutes that I realised....SHIT!!!! God I felt such a fool. Luckily it all worked out ok cos the doc was able to see him, and he calmed down under her influence. But DOH!!!

And then I did it again later!!! Not so serious this time, the person was only waiting maybe 10 mins. And then there was all the other little mistakes, putting the patient in the wrong doctor folder, typing their surname out wrong, not getting them to sign the right form....ugh.

They must think I am so stupid, and wonder how I can be about to be a med student(and wondering why they hired me). I'm afraid Im thinking that too at this point. Kinda freaks me out; if I can't keep on top of things as a secretary, and screw up and forget all the time at this, what am I going to do when I'm a doc and where mistakes can cost people their lives? This is soo going to be me.


Sometimes I really wish I wasn't going into a career with so much responsibility. And I really hope it was just a bad day and my incompetency is due to inexperience, cos If its just cos I'm an idiot, then I think I should give up now....

I am also exhausted... From a 35 hour working week, a 7 hour day! How am i going to handle an 80 hour one, working 24 hours in a row?



3 comments:

XE said...

We all have bad days. I'm sure tomorrow will be better.

Elaine said...

And now, thanks to the european working time directive, we only work maximum 56 hour weeks and we have 'breaks'...
And don't worry, I'm just finishing med school and the thought of doing the busy front desk shift at a GP fills me with dread, it's like a completely different world!! (I did have a shot one day and basically hung up on everyone that phoned, whoops!)

Lala said...

Thanks for the encouragement. Today was better, less busy and less screw ups by me :)