Tuesday 19 June 2007

Event of the day

Lots of drama this morning, but I missed almost all of it!

Came into work for 10 as per usual, and noticed that a lot of the shops down the street were shut, and people were standing outside. Went into the practice, all is darkness. Apparently we've had a power cut. Can hardly see the other secretaries enveloped in gloom behind the desk. It was eerily quiet. No telephones, no computers, no till and hardly any patients either because they couldn't book in by phone. Pretty nice actually.....

Unfortunately, the reason for the cut was pretty bad. A man who had been working in the street had accidentally cut into an underground power cable, and got FRIED. Luckily he survived, but he had some pretty bad burns. The drama part is that he was brought into our practice where one of our doctors attended to him as best she could. He was then sent off to the hospital and one of the doctors managed to get an update later today from the burns unit who said he is doing fine and hopefully wont need grafts!

So the minute I arrived today I was sent out to get as many battery powered light sources as I could find. Soon we were all bathed in a dim glow, gave the place quite a strange atmosphere! Myself and M made shadow animals on the wall.......

Alas, the peace was not to last. All at once the lights came on, the phone started to scream and the alarm went off.

After that it was a VERY LONG DAY.

Got the angriest I have ever been with a patient today. Someone phones up, and complains to me that his symptoms have got worse since he saw the doctor yesterday, and that the antibiotics don't seem to be working. He wants to know if the doctor gave him the right kind and dose of antibiotics because he's not better yet. Well, I say, it is rather soon considering he has been on the abc's for less than 24 hours and he might really want to give it a bit longer before coming back, it could take a day or three. (tersely) "But my symptoms are getting WORSE!!!!" (He obviously wasn't too ill to shout at me). Well, you can see another doctor if you wish, I do have appointments free today. " WHAT??? SO I'D HAVE TO PAY ANOTHER €55?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!!." Well, yes, that is the consultation fee. "CAN'T THEY JUST SEND ME ANOTHER PRESCRIPTION" Well, sorry but no, the doctor can't diagnose you without actually examining you....

*peevish noises on the phone*

Tell you what, I'll make a note of what the doctor prescribed you and check if it strong or correct dose or whatever anything to shut you up you moan bag..

So I do. He's on Distaclor, 375mgX2, BD. I show this to another doctor. "That's a very strong dose, and its less than 24 hours, it'll take a few days"

Called him back, phone wasn't even on. I left the politest voicemail I could muster.

YARGH!!!

I guess this is just the start of my encounters with people....Roll on late nights in A&E!

Thing is, most people couldn't be nicer, or more appreciative of your help on the phone. And most people realise that you are busy, you are tired, and you are running a damn good service and will do your very best to help them with whatever problem they have. And most people realise that a) you are not a doctor, and b) the doctors have other patients besides them, and do not sit around all day waiting for them to call. Most people....

No comments: