Monday 16 April 2007

So here we are now.....

How to begin? How did I come to be here?

Well, on a sunny afternoon as I was supposed to be studying, I decided to make Blogger my own.

Let me tell you a little something about me. I am currently in the final weeks of first year Veterinary Medicine in Dublin. I wont be coming back next semester, because I am going to go to Medical School in England instead! Bit of a career roundabout there allright...

How did I decide to switch from animals to people, and why?

I had always wanted to be a vet, for as long as I can remember (after the hairdresser/air hostess phase), and was extremely lucky to get a place in the Dublin vet school. But then I took a gap year, and volunteered in different places around the world. I suddenly realised that this was what I wanted to do with my life, and in my eyes vet just didn't seem to fit. It took me a long time to admit to myself that I actually wanted to become a doctor. It was so hard to give up the idea of becoming a vet after so long......And then there was the whole "how on earth am I going to get into med school????"

After about 5months of turning it over in my head I decided I had nothing to lose, and that if I thought I wanted it, I should go for it. One of the things I decided on my gap year was that I didn't ever want to give up on my dreams and live a life of compromise. Cheesy and idealistic as that sounds. My actual options were pretty limited as far as I could see: I didn't have the points for Ireland,the UK was damn near impossible to get in to, and Eastern Europe was looking like the only realistic(if expensive and unappealing) option. But I gave the UK a shot, and to my continuing amazement, Ive been offered two places! I thank my lucky stars every day because I know how fortunate I have been to get my dream, when so many others never do.

The people in Vet don't know yet, except for Lis, who is amazing, and completely supportive and a fantastic writer to boot! The others....well....lets just say I get the feeling they're not too keen on medics. Take the girl who wears a hoodie with "REAL DOCTORS TREAT MORE THAN ONE SPECIES" on it as an example.

Its going to be interesting when I break the news....

Only a few weeks to go, and I can't wait to be finished! So fed up with this whole thing now. Im probably going to fail everything because my motivation to study is nil.

Oh well. We'll just have to wait and see!

1 comment:

XE said...

"Take the girl who wears a hoodie with "REAL DOCTORS TREAT MORE THAN ONE SPECIES" on it as an example."

Oh yes, at the university where my aunt teaches all of the vet students have t-shirts that say that on them. They even sell them at the bookstore on campus!!