Monday 10 March 2008

Don't laugh....

So. I decided to take up something that I used to do again. And I know I'm now much older....and larger...and more unfit...but....

I've decided to take an adult ballet class (stop sniggering).

I started ballet at the tender age of 4, and kept it up until I was 14, at which point the pressures of secondary school and my growing dislike of the intensity of the classes got to me. It was just too intense, and the teachers scared me....

But, quite quickly after stopping (and given that at the time I was still riding every day and playing hockey as well) I noticed I'd lost a lot of muscle tone and control.

And now 6 years down the line I don't do any other sports either (gammy knees). And I was thinking about it, and I kind of miss dancing.

So, I'm going to brave it. I am very lucky that there is actually a place where they do adult ballet classes here at uni, I don't think they're that easy to find back in Irl.

I'm in the beginners class...*sigh* lets hope I can move up to improvers......

Doesn't start till after Easter, but I'm already excited! Wish me luck!

Don't think I'll quite look like this though..... I guess it'll take time ;)

3 comments:

XE said...

YAY! Good for you :) I love ballet!! Hope you really enjoy it.

Unknown said...

I love ballet too! I signed up for my university's adult ballet class.. but oh my god! There are girls there that went to ballet boarding school for 15 years (what are they doing at my uni?!) No way I could keep up with that.. so that feels a bit depressing

One thing I did worry about is being a fat girl dancing ballet. The instructor is a good size 18. So at least next to her I looked skinny (but clumsy and ungraceful!) Good luck with it!
I always want the body of a ballerina... so feminine yet totally strong

Lala said...

Thanks for the encouragement Xavier, I've got my fingers x'd!

Med. Brunette: Yep, I live in fear of the long-legged sylphs in leotards too....Luckily, the class isn't done by the uni, so hopefully it will be more middle-aged housewives than fit 20 year olds. I may be wrong, though I hope not.... I had the perfect ballerina figure once....and then I hit puberty. So i'm glad the only dress requirement is ballet shoes..