Friday 28 March 2008

Reflective Practice

I have to write an essay for med school about how I'm developing as a person/medical student/future dr/ blah blah blah, and its kind of a pain in the ass (and it counts for a lot of our grade!!!!!), but I get why we have to do it, and it is good to get us to think about what we've learnt and experienced (just not sure it should count for marks when things like physiology are not tested in any specific way).

Anyway, thank goodness I keep a blog, because without it I would not remember anything. Been flicking through my archives looking for inspiration. I'm struck by how much I seem to have changed since my first tentative entries.
I'm also struck by how much I've changed what I think about medicine.

This entry got me in particular. Already I have stopped being affected by the things I read. Already I see diseases not people. And that worries me. A lot. I haven't even finished my first year.

And then I'm glad that my medical school makes us write stupid essays about how we're developing as doctors, and I hope that they will keep forcing us to remind ourselves about why we are here.

2 comments:

Tayaki said...

LOL what was i going off on about the african congo mafia? funny thing is, i don't remember that lost episode...must go watch sidereel to refresh my memory. :)

The Little Medic said...

keeping a blog is very useful for this kind of thing, its like a bank of reflection just sitting there.