Sunday 23 December 2007

To clarify on stupidity

Wow, Im impressed by the number of people commenting on the visa-marriage!
To clear things up, love does not come into this. Which my friend sees as a plus. She says she would never get married because she was madly in love with someone (and she has a point, rushed head-over-heels marriages usually go wrong too). But doing the immigrant "a favour" by contracting herself to him is ok. I don't know, maybe shes right because she isn't under any illusion that its going to be happily ever after, but she thinks that she KNOWS him well enough that she is SURE he won't ever try and screw her over. I don't know...even after years you can think you know someone and be proven wrong. So after two months, is it a good idea? I think I'm going to have to give up on this one, because it will like Ellisa said drive her away; we already fought today because I think she is being unbelievably stupid. But arrrgh!!!! Its so frustrating. She's no better than a mail-order bride (and hey, they usually have good reason to do it, like poverty or chance-of-a-better-life or something).


Ugh, whatever. If she insists on making her bed this way then she's just gonna have to lie in it.

5 comments:

Calavera said...

Oh dear... this does indeed seem very stupid... is she even being serious??

Let her know that you disapprove, but if she really is intent on going ahead and marrying this guy - well... it's her decision, no?

Dear oh dear. What a tangled web we weave.

Lala said...

Deadly serious (I had to ask several times myself just to let it sink in)

And I quote "nobody can talk me out of it"

Sara said...

I don't know...depending on someone's situation, I would consider doing it for someone. Just make sure there's a legally airtight prenuptial financial agreement written by a good lawyer.

Tayaki said...

i still stick by what i said before. this is a whole OTHER level of stupid for your friend. i never thought they could reach this level, but hey, it's the holiday season, people always surprise me. stop stressing! try to enjoy christmas! :) i know it's hard for you not to, but seriously, T-R-Y! ;)

The Little Medic said...

Sounds pretty dam stupid to me. Although someone I know recently did something quite similar. I thought they were stupid too but there is no talking people out of things when they're determined. All you can is support them as much as possible.