Wednesday 19 September 2007

Daunted

Well, after one thing or another I am arrived! Have nearly done my first week at med school....

How was it for me? Well... SO much stuff has been difficult and awkward and frustrating, namely;

Trying to get a bank account if your not English is an extremely lengthy and fussy process.

Trying to get a mobile phone if you don't have a bank account is impossible.

Paying accomodation fees is impossible if you don't have a bank account.

Registering for anything is more difficult if you don't have a mobile phone.

Connecting to the internet in my room was a NIGHTMARE.

Buying train tickets online is flat out IMPOSSIBLE!!!!!

None of this stuff has put me in a good mood. And this week has been super dull 'cos its all intro lectures. But hopefully, (PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE) things will improve next week when things get going for real.

I guess whats really bothering me (and making me so damn whiny) is that I hate going through all that not-knowing-anyone-well phase. Its makes you feel very lonely in the acres of free time that you have... But I know this has to be gone through, and I will get over it very soon. Its just getting there.....

I have to say everyone on the course seems very friendly. I have a few friends...Mostly graduates, as being somewhere between school leaver and graduate I think I fit in with them better. I hope this all gets easier soon! But as they say, life isn't easy.

The course seems well structured, but its going to take a bit of getting used to the PBL-based format (which obviously I chose for a reason, but after my bad experiences in Vet I've been a bit put off)

The older years say our first year is basically a bit wishy-washy and crap, but I think (hope) thats what you realise when you go on to the more complex/stimulating material in higher years.

We've been given an absolutely enormous "registration pack" containing a daunting amount of information, the focus of which is mostly "standards of professional behaviour", "fitness to practice", "how not to get sued/thrown out of med school", "don't f**k up or we'll kill you" and last but not least "YOU HAVE RESPONSIBILITIES, YOU ARE NOW A HEALTH PROFESSIONAL, NEVER FORGET THIS".



I think I'm just feeling a little daunted by the whole thing. I wasn't expecting to, after having tried so hard to get here, and thought it all through, and been so excited and looked forward to it for so long....and now I just feel nervous and uncertain. The way ahead seems too steep and arduous, the pressures and responsibilities too great, the workload too heavy. Even though I knew this is what medicine is, even though I thought I was, somehow, despite everything, I don't feel ready.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

aww man it must be hard for internationals.

I'm knackered, I don't like getting up early! Most of my friends are grads too, mostly as I'm living almost exclusivly eith them.

Our med school is trying to scare us into working with lectures regarding failure rates and how it's not an easy ride.

It's working though...

Lala said...

The worst thing is I really don't feel like studying..... Its all so shiny and new, I haven't really got my head around it yet.

Sara said...

The transition is killer. At least it's all the same language. Try to enjoy the novelty of it - you'll look back and miss that.

And there's a long road ahead of the "why did I do this and what did I get into" ahead. I'm not sure that ever goes away. You just have to remember the nice side...the patients that you like, the interesting subjects. But it is sort of insane - we spent years smacking our heads like flies against a window to get into basically a system that makes you miserable for a long time before you start to appreciate it. Tons of people warned us, yet we were so determined. I'm not sure that feeling of, holy crap, why didn't I listen, ever wears off, even if you're reasonably happy with the career.