Saturday 7 July 2007

Another girl gone..

A British child has been kidnapped in the Niger Delta. Margaret Hill is the 3yr old daughter of a Nigerian mother and an English father. She was taken on her way to school in Port Harcourt.

I didn't hear this on the radio. I didn't see it on the front page of the paper. I don't see any posters in windows, any petitions on peoples blogs.

But what is so different about this case to the abduction of Madeline McCann? Ok, yes, its a kidnapping, and the parents have been contacted by the kidnappers, but they still don't know where their child is, or if she is dead or alive, or if they will ever see their baby again. Just like Madeline McCanns parents.

Now please don't get me wrong here, I think its terrible what happened to Madeline. I hope as much as anyone else that she is returned safely to her parents. And if all the media coverage and public awareness helps, then so much the better.

But what about the other children that go missing every day? Is it right that no one notices them? That they don't get the same publicity? Are their lives somehow less valuable?

2 comments:

Ms-Ellisa said...

Yes Lala I agree with you. Greece suffered a huge crime in Veroia a year or two ago, and the local authorities and everybody else there seemed to cover it up for three months just because of the filthiness in it. Luckily it hit the media and the people that were to blame are almost found, but still, the 9 year old is not found.
It is a shame what happens to children and it breaks my heart. I hope they are safely returned to their parents, all of them.

KungFi said...

Hi Lala. I'm a Portuguese girl and you can´t imagine the impact of Madeline kidnap here. All that we saw in TV during an entire month was about it. Then, of course, a wave of Portuguese parents who have lost their children too, appear on TV asking why the police didn't act like same the way as for Madeline. I think that we have just done this because the girl was from another country, and because the "eyes of the world" were looking at us. Just that. I can't remember the last time we heard about a missing child, here in Portugal, before Madeline.
(sorry for my English!!)